Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Julius Ceasar #1: Who was Julius Caesar


Emperor Julius Caesar (Ruebens)
Hey kids, Julius Caesar here.  I’m one of the greatest rulers of the ancient world. Did you know...

  • Among ancient military commanders, I’m second only to Alexander the Great?
  • In 44 BCE, I changed the name of the month Quintilis to Julius (July) and the next year established the “modern” calendar with 365 days and the leap year every 4th year at 366 days?
  • I was the first to print my own picture on a Roman minted coin?
  • In 16th century France, I was the King of Diamonds on a deck of cards?
  • The Senate declared me ‘Dictator’ for life!  After that, I started wearing a robe, crown, and scepter and used the title imperator.  (Shh…don’t tell, but I wore the crown to cover my receding hairline!)?
  • Cleopatra VII (Queen of Egypt) and I were romantically involved for 14 years but could not marry, because under the Roman law, marriage was only allowed between two Roman citizens.
  • Cleopatra named our son Caesarion, who was later murdered by my great nephew Octavian. 
  • Octavian succeeded me and became the First Roman Emperor, known as Caesar Augustus
  • In the Bible, Jesus tells his followers “Render unto Caesar, that things that are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s.”  (Mark 12:17)  Roughly translation:  Pay your taxes!
  • The term “Caesar” Caesar became the German Kaiser and Slavic Tsar/Czar. The last tsar in nominal power was Simeon II of Bulgaria whose reign ended in 1946; for two thousand years after Julius Caesar's assassination, there was at least one head of state bearing his name.
  • The Caesar Salad was not named for me, but restaurateur Caesar Cardini.


But don't just take my word for it...Over the next few days, you’ll complete a series of tasks which will help you learn more about me, Julius Caesar and my great empire of Rome.  You will keep all your work together in a portfolio which you will turn in at the end of this unit.  


(Much credit and appreciation to Joan Easton and Patricia A. Russac of Buckley County Day School for their webquest titled:  “I Came, I Saw, I Conquered!  So What happened to the Roman Empire”. 2003)



No comments:

Post a Comment